Mission call

Called to serve the Lord in the Ghana Kumasi Mission

Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Week 1 - MTC


 WOW! What a crazy week! Hahaha!! I can't believe I'm in Africa. This went by fast but slow. That makes zero sense but that's just how it went. The flight over was good. It started on Wednesday night at 9:00PM.  We went over to The Netherlands and then down to Accra. It was good because we had, I think, 17 Elders fly over with me. So…we got to Accra around 9:00 PM Thursday night and I get my first bag, so that was good. But I was looking for my second bag, and out of the corner of my eye I see a bag that's shriveled up in the middle of the terminal. Hahaha!! Like no joke! This bag was TORCHED. I walked over and, of course, it was mine. The whole side of the bag was popped, like the seam ripped up the entire side of the bag. So they just taped it up hahaha! Luckly nothing was lost, at least I don’t think so. If I haven't noticed it yet then it probably wasn't important. I sat at the airport for like 3 hours just waiting to file a report! I got to the MTC at about 12:30AM Friday morning and had to unpack everything out of my bag! This was stressful because they said protect your stuff because the Africans might steal it. Nothing was stolen and they replaced my bag with a brand new one.

The MTC is crazy! Like literally you think that this MTC would be organized, not even in the slightest! hahahaha! If you know me well you know that I like organized people and things. I’m learning you just gotta roll with the punches and be patient out here.

THE FOOD!!! Wow!! The food out here is nuts. I literally was eating like a freaking tweety bird for the first 4 days. It’s just a different taste for everything out here, but I got use to it, so that's good. It’s mainly just chicken and rice. OH! but the breakfast is horrible. hahaha!  It’s just like a soup. idk.  The food is whatever. I think it’s only going get worse in the field. They asked if we wanted fufu, if you don't know what it is, look it up. It’s cray, but I’m going try it next time.  

The average day at the MTC is simple. You wake up, eat, go to class, eat, go back to class, then you go out for sports(ha!), eat, then back to class, then go to your apartment and go to sleep cause you’re so tired. I’ll go into detail though. "Sports" is literally just the white elders trying to play bball while the Africans go “WORLD CUP” on the field. It’s hilarious! Class is literally just role-play all day. They have us teach as much as they can with the Book of Mormon. Class isn’t that bad, its just really long hours throughout the day. 




My companion is a 250-pound Tongan. He’s sooooo smooth. His name is Elder Pahulu! He’s about the most patient guy I know. I'm not kidding. He’s super caring as well. It seems he always worries about me, and others, before himself. He’s the perfect guy for me. Also, he’s serving in my mission so maybe you’ll hear more about him. 




Overall this week has been super fun but I couldn't have done it without my Father in Heaven. The power of prayer is real. I know that because I’m functioning out here well! hahah! If you are reading this, after you’re done, say a prayer. I've found out that if you have a strong relationship with your Father in Heaven, you can get through anything. God isn’t going to put you through anything you can’t handle. That's the mindset.  Also, "roll with the punches". 

I love you all!!! The church is true!! Please email me!

Elder Turner




No comments:

Post a Comment

Last Week

WHAT THE!?   Can you believe this? I just can't believe that my last week email is here. I could write so much but I just don't kno...